Friday 12 October 2012

Set Back Chimera's

Rather than trying to do more to my Crimson Fists, as I'm saving up for an airbrush and compressor to hopefully make my life easier, I've decided to try and get some of my boxed models built, and I've started with a couple of Chimera's. But rather than going down the simple road of building them according to the instructions, I'm using SandWyrm's set back Chimera guide which can be found in 3 parts, here, here and here. There is also a bit about how he paints his models, here.

I've progressed a fair way into this project so far, having spent about 6 hours work on it. The side sections are built following the instructions. The fun starts with hacking the troop and turret sections to bits in order to move the turret further back.
 
Here is a close up of one of the Chimera's. There is a lot of careful trimming and sanding involved just to get to this stage. With a bit more practice I'm sure I could managed to get a better fit, but this will do, and I'll use Green Stuff to fill the gaps.

And here is a shot showing how far back the turret has gone. The rough removal of rivets etc, will be tidied up using sandpaper once the gaps have been filled.

I know I really should be concentrating on finishing up a few of the things that are sat on my workbench, such as the Manticore and Hellhound, but I was getting a bit annoyed at having these sat in boxes not doing anything. And anyway I'm sure I'll find time to finish them all at some point :).

Thanks for reading, comments, questions and suggestions are always appreciated.

4 comments:

Mordian7th said...

Nice! I'm a huge fan of the set-back Chimera look, and have done some conversions based on Sandwyrm's work as well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how yours turn out - keep up the great work!

Cadian 127th said...

@ Mordian7th - Thanks for the comment. I'm hoping that mine will end up being similar to Sandwyrm's, just with my own take on additional stowage etc.

Col. Ackland said...

I hope to join the crowd and build a few set-backs myself. So no problems with the new Chimera chassis?

Cadian 127th said...

@ Col. Ackland - so far no problems with the new Chimera chassis, just the limitations of my abilities.

Copyright © 2012 Cadian 127th Regiment All Right Reserved