Sunday 30 June 2013

114 - Simple and Quick?

Whilst sitting here looking at the 2 Chimera's, and pondering what transfers to apply, and what weathering to attempt, a thought popped into my mind.


Waterslide transfers are a pain in the arse (for me anyway). I've been using them for 20 years, from starting out on Revell and Airfix kits and now with GW stuff. First of all they are generally a pain to use, as I'm sure some people will have found out, and then secondly they are again a pain to get looking like they are painted on. There are products out there that help, I've been using MicroSol and MicroSet for a few years and they are a god send. But even so you can still run in to problems. One of these is that you run out of a certain letter or number, or you want to put several side by side for vehicle markings.

There are plenty of people who have excellent freehand skills and merely paint their markings on, but my skills haven't reached that level and I hope that with some practice they will at least improve. In the mean time, I came up with the idea of using one of those plastic number/letter stencils that I used as a kid. With a bit of tape over the letters, leaving only the one you want exposed, and some white/grey paint and the airbrush, there's a ready made way of applying identification markings.

I've not had a chance to test my idea out yet, as the stencil I have is too big. Hopefully I'll be able to grab one the right size and try it out and then give you all an update.

I hope this is useful. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean m8.

That plastic idea ain't bad, but will be a pain when there's something in the way like a door handle or something similiar.

I've found something else, transparent adhesive foil off amazon. Just print the numbers, letters or logos you want on the adhesive foil, and then either cut them out with one of your hobby tools or go to one of your local copy stores and lasercut them.

That way you can put them on anything, even shaped surfaces like on the Eldar vehicles etc

Zzzzzz said...

Archer fine art transfers are always worth a look. Despite being in the USA they are not exorbitantly priced and are 'dry rub'. Mostly.

Another dodge that can look OK is to put the transfer on and then just paint over it - especially good for getting rid of the 'clear transfer bit' around the markings and you can change colours, eg use the GW (or whatever) numbers and paint over them in yellow (or whatever) to better match a colourscheme.

Admiral Drax said...

It's a good idea, but pretty limited in terms of font, I'd say.

Have you tried freehanding designs with fneliner pens? I use them sometimes...

Copyright © 2012 Cadian 127th Regiment All Right Reserved