Saturday 7 April 2018

201 - Paint Pot Problems

Hello everyone, thanks for dropping by.

You will all have seen my lack of posts about newly painted miniatures. Moving house, renovations, life and being lazy have contributed to me not painting anything.

Now that all of the work to the house has been done and I've actually got some free time, I thought I'd take stock of my paints and prepare to start painting again.

Unfortunately, my paints haven't fared very well with the lack of use and most of them now look like the above picture. The paint is still liquid it's just very viscous. Do you think I could salvage these ones?

Not all of the paints are in as good a condition as the above so they will be going in the bin and getting replaced. Some of them are my originals from 15+ years ago so they've served me well.

Here is the full collection of what's getting chucked away. Mainly black top ones and the original Foundation paints. Plus some of the newer Citadel ones.

Of course if anyone wants any of these to try and rescue them, drop me a message and I'll see what condition they are in.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to keep paints in good condition? They would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading, I'm off to buy some paint!

6 comments:

Marshal Argos said...

I still use GW paints that are over 15 years old. I'll add water and a bit of thinner and mix n mix n mix. If course use an eye dropped and work with drops. Only use as much as you need or else you'll thin out the colour.

Siph_Horridus said...

Add a few drops of acrylic paint thinner like Tamiya X-20A and a lot of stirring. If you want GW product, use Lahriam Fluid as that is paint without pigment, but the Tamiya comes in a bigger bottle for all your needs. Just a few drops at a time, don’t want to go the other extreme and thin too much ;)

Zerstoren said...

Future floor wax and water in a 1:4 mix has left me with all the medium I'll ever need to resuscitate my dried pots.

Nic E said...

I saw vid once suggesting a vigorous shake one a week. he got all his paints in a container and shook the eff out of them.

Zzzzzz said...

Shakey shakey shakey. To Mambo No5 or Thunderstruck, depending on how you feel.

Cadian 127th said...

Thanks for all the ideas and previous experience. I think I'll give the thinning a go first on the ones that look a bit more salvageable. Hopefully that and the shaking will work.

Has anyone had much luck doing this with metallic paints?

Copyright © 2012 Cadian 127th Regiment All Right Reserved