Sunday 24 January 2016

174 - Replace or Repaint?

The other day I bought another new Ikea Billy bookcase, just the small 100cm x 40cm one to go on top of another unit that was currently just a dumping ground for all the random crap that seems to end up in the study. This has led to me rejigging where my models and LEGO are displayed and I spent some time cleaning the dust off them.

Within my pile of Leman Russ' that needed dusting are a couple of my original tanks (circa 2007/8). One is a bog standard Russ with heavy bolter sponsons and hull lascannon and the other is a part metal Demolisher with plasma cannon sponsons and hull lascannon. The Demolisher has the metal plasma cannons, demolisher cannon and extra bits so it weighs a fair amount.

Standard Russ - with expertly painted (?) splodge camo.

It's other side, just the other side.

Lets all wave to the new guys

Demolisher from the right

Demolisher from the left

While dusting these two tanks off, I was looking at the paint scheme and began to ponder if I should repaint the two or to sell them off and fund some new kits and start again. So I put the question to you, my fellow hobbyists. Would you: a) strip and repaint the models completely? b) freshen the tanks up by weathering the hell out of them? or c) sell them and start again? Answers in the comments below please.

6 comments:

Zzzzzz said...

B.

Chipping, rust and then dust.

LW said...

The paint doesn't look so thick that a repaint with weathering would look odd.

Admiral Drax said...

Repaint 'em, but don't strip them. Keep an aspect of their previous incarnation to retain their character!

Cadian 127th said...

Cheers everyone. I think I'm going to go for the repaint then - but not a full repaint, just a freshen up by weathering the hell out of them!

TheMightyFlip said...

Paint them, don't toss old tanks...I made that mistake and regretted it

Cadian 127th said...

@ The Mighty Flip - Cheers for your comment. I've sold off a couple over the years, but some of these were never going to be repainted - 2 Chimera's that were ruined. I do regret selling off a part metal Leman Russ Exterminator. I have already got my plan's laid out for repainting this.

Copyright © 2012 Cadian 127th Regiment All Right Reserved