New Post


Wednesday, 22 September 2010
Ride of the Valkyrie, Part 2

Ride of the Valkyrie, Part 2

Time for an update on my continuing Valk construction project.

Things are progressing quite nicely, I think. I decided not to add any more detail to the interior. I think that the drybrushing does the job well enough and people seem to like it, so why mess with it.

My next task was to get the door gunners completed. This meant undercoating all the various components. I chose not to use spray paint for this and instead used the Foundation Undercoat Black, followed by a coat of Chaos Black. This gave the models more of a gloss finish which is what I wanted. Again I wanted to keep things simple, so I stuck with the drybrushing technique.

The above pic is one of the arm mounts and the swivel mounts. The other arm was already in place in the transport compartment. These pieces got the same drybrush as the interior, Codex Grey followed by Fortress Grey. And the other pic is how the other arm looks in the Valk itself.

The gunners themselves got a slight variation. Rather than using Fortress Grey as the extreme drybrush, I went with Skull White, for a really bright layer. The pictures here don't really show it, but hopefully when I get the big camera out this will show up better. I thought about different colours for the uniform but I think the black flightsuits work well, and will also be used for the pilot/navigator when I get round to doing them.

The arms got the same treatment as the gunner's bodies. I toyed with the idea of making the hands my usual flesh colour, but then figured that the crew would probably be wearing gloves. The heavy bolters got the Codex Grey/Fortress Grey drybrush. Again I was a little torn with what to do as all of my auxiliary weapons tend to be a bright green, but I decided to stick with the darker side this time. Painting them Dark Angels Green was also an option but I'm glad with how they turned out.

Now that the weapon mounts were done, I could finally glue my two transport compartment sections together. A little bit of glue and some elastic bands later and the back end was sitting waiting for the glue to dry.

The next stage is getting the engines ready and finishing of the tail sections before I tackle the wings. Thanks for reading!
Tuesday, 7 September 2010
Ride of the Valkyrie, Part 1

Ride of the Valkyrie, Part 1

So having got fed up of painting infantry, and not being able to motivate myself to finish my sentinel or any more Leman Russ' for the moment, I thought I'd start on a project that I was looking forward to - a Valkyrie!

Before I started I had a little think about how I wanted to build this model. In the end I decided that I was going to build the troop compartment and paint the interior, then build the rest of the model around it. So here are some work in progress pics:

The above pic shows the troop compartment pieces laid out after being removed from the sprues - and also the nearly finished Lascannon for my sentinel (stuck in the blu tac).

The next pic shows the end and a side glued to the base. I figured I'd be able to paint this more easily without the other side glued on.

And here is the other side glued to the roof section. Upon reflection I think that next time I'll paint the interior pieces individually before gluing them together.

This pic shows part of the tail sections and the engine components laid out. The engines look like they are going to be quite fiddly to put together. The pic also shows the intakes on the top of the troop compartment. The roof/side piece aren't glued to the bottom/side piece yet.

Here is the first shot of the interior. I started off by giving the whole of the interior a wash with Badab Black. Then I drybrushed all of it first with Codex Gray and then Fortress Gray (I think).

Another shot of the interior. The floor was drybrushed with Codex Gray, then Boltgun Metal then Mithril Silver. I tried to concentrate the heavy drybrushing on the areas that would see more wear such as towards the exits.

The final pic is just to show the roof/side section. I like the look that the drybrushing has given as I don't want to really over do the interior detail. I will be adding a few extra details though.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more updates.

P.S. if anyone has any name suggestions, feel free to leave them

P.P.S. my blog has passed 10,000 hits, so a huge thanks to everyone who views it :)
Copyright © 2012 Cadian 127th Regiment All Right Reserved